Weekly Devotional – July 21 – 27
Prayer Guide – Spiritual Discipline
Spiritual Discipline for July 21 – July 27. Sermon: “Hello Beautiful” – Read: John 2:1-11
Each Sunday from June 2, 2019 to August 18, 2019 Rev. Gavalas will be preaching a sermon from his series titled “Surprise Endings”. On each Sunday during the series, the Bulletin will contain a Prayer Guide for the Coming Week. Please check the Bulletin each Sunday for that weeks Prayer Guide.
Select this link to a list of the subject for each sermon in the series https://www.forkchapelumc.org/2019/05/31/summer-sermon-series-surprise-endings/
God’s from the Womb to the Tomb Grace
We United Methodists believe there are four stages that describe God seasons of saving grace. Each season begins with the word “even”.
- Even there God loves us. No matter where we go or what we do, God’s grace is there. This is God’s all-reaching, prevenient grace.
- Even now God loves us. God is in the rescuing business. This is God’s soul-saving, justifying grace that is ours right now.
- Even more God loves us. Grace wants to grow us up into the likeness of Jesus. This is God’s character-shaping, sanctifying grace.
- Even when God loves us. Grace carries us from this life to the next. This is God’s never-ending, glorifying grace.
The hymn “Amazing Grace” contains all four of these stages of God’s grace.
- Prevenient Grace: Amazing grace! How sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found; Was blind, but now I see.
- Justifying Grace: ’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, And grace my fears relieved; How precious did that grace appear The hour I first believed.
- Sanctifying Grace: Through many dangers, toils, and snares, I have already come; ’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, And grace will lead me home.
- Sanctifying Grace: The Lord has promised good to me, His Word my hope secures; He will my Shield and Portion be, As long as life endures.
- Glorifying Grace: Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, And mortal life shall cease, I shall possess, within the veil, A life of joy and peace.
- Glorifying Grace: When we’ve been there ten thousand years, Bright shining as the sun, We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise Than when we’d first begun.
Spiritual Exercise: Look back over your life and identify where God’s season of grace have been at work in you.